Friday, September 4, 2009

Lazy Friday Afternoon

So if you ever found yourself wondering what we do on lazy Friday afternoons, here's your answer. The kids nap and I read a book on my Kindle. It's not a completely lazy day, because we got a lot done this morning: Starbucks for Zahra's chocolate milk and my mocha frappuccino, a visit to Michael's to buy a canvas tote and iron-on butterfly patches for Zahra's school stuff (the teacher mailed a letter asking parents to get the kids bags instead of backpacks because they're easier and take up less space), a drive out to Fountain Valley to stop by Willie's work to pay for and pick up dinners we order from Jessica Todd's sister (yum!), another drive back to Westminster to go to the mall to the embroidery place to get Zahra's name written on her new school bag, and a quick stop at Chipotle to pick up a barbacoa burrito.
And we planned to go to Disneyland this afternoon, when Willie gets home from work, since our annual passes have blackout days this weekend. I told Zahra we wouldn't go to Disneyland if she didn't get a nap in. Max had just woken up from napping during all those car rides, so I let him play on the floor in Zahra's bedroom. He kept himself busy for awhile, playing with toys and crawling around the floor. I kept the door closed so he couldn't get out to the top of the landing where the stairs are, so I was able to relax and know that he was always safe, even if I had my eyes on the book. I'm currently reading "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb. I just finished reading one of his earlier books, "I Know This Much is True" and thought it was excellent. One of the best novels I've ever read, which is definitely saying a lot, since I've read quite a few books over the years. (I found out that the print version of the hardcover edition is over 950 pages long and it only took me two weeks to read.)

So after a little while, I could tell Max was getting tired of playing by himself on the floor, so I pulled him up to the bed where I was reading next to Zahra. Pretty soon he fell asleep and the two of them slept soundly, side by side, for another hour. Now they're awake and it's time to get ready for our trip to Disneyland. Willie will probably be home within the half hour. Usually we go earlier in the day, but this time we'll be there in the evening which will be a nice change. Off to the Magic Kingdom!

2 comments:

  1. it was good seeing you guys! we'll have to get together soon. what are those books about by the way? by the title...they sound kind of interesting (which says a lot cuz i don't read) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could crawl in bed and take a nap with them, just like I used to do with my own kids when they were little, it was just awesome.

    ReplyDelete