Monday, September 14, 2009

Max in Mischief

So lately, as you can imagine, since Max is now mobile, he has become free to get into all sorts of mischief. Some of it is cute, some would border on dangerous if he wasn't being watched very carefully, some of it is messy, some of it annoys the heck out of Zahra. The gamut is all over the place, just like our little guy.
So today, I'm cleaning up the kitchen, and Max wanted nothing of the baby swing or to watch the clothes in the washing machine cycle round and round. He decided that since I was messing with the dishwasher, that's what he wanted to do, too. He crawled over, pulled himself up, and started pulling dirty spoons and forks out, one by one, and throwing them on the floor. This was cute and funny for a little while, but then I had to figure out a way to keep him occupied without getting into my chores.
This portion of the dishwasher, where the utensils belong, can come out completely. Max decided to do a little cause-and-effect research and slide the basket back and forth.

Here he is, still working on things, trying to figure out how all the relevant pieces work together. It's kind of neat to watch him. You can almost see the little wheels inside his head turning. "This is what happens when I slide it this way. Then I can slide it back."
I put him in a laundry basket to keep him in one spot. But sitting all alone in a laundry basket is no fun, so then I decided that he might like to play with an ice cream scooper and a pot. That was entertaining for awhile and then I decided to give him some apple juice in a sippy cup. He doesn't quite have the drinking-out-of-a-sippy-cup mastered yet, so mostly he just drooled all over it and got his shirt all wet.
On Saturday morning, as I was getting Zahra dressed up in her soccer jersey and shorts, Max decided to take the matter of hunger into his own hands, literally. Lately, one thing he enjoys are these little freeze-dried yogurt bites that are marketed for toddlers. They're just the perfect size for little hands to pick up and because they're freeze-dried, they melt in the baby's mouth. One reason I like them is because they have active cultures in them, too. He can feed himself and it's a not-so-messy way for the little guy to consume yogurt.
Apparently, the last time he ate them, I had failed to completely close the ziploc top of the bag. I'd placed Max on the couch so I could help Zahra get her clothes on. Max decides to dump the bag open and help himself. Initially, I was like, "Man! I just washed the slip-cover for the couch and now I'm gonna have to wash it again 'cause it has all these little yogurt pieces all over it!" and then I laughed and thought about how it was cute he just dumped the bag open and started shoveling yogurt bites into his mouth. Then, Willie was nice enough to put all the big pieces back in the bag so Max could eat them later.
Bon appetit!







1 comment: