Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Bearded Lady



The scene: Wednesday night, about 8:00 PM. Willie, Bessie (my mother-in-law), and I are watching TV. "Lost" Season 4 on DVD, the episode titled "Meet Kevin Johnson." Max is drifting in and out of sleep on Bessie's lap. Zahra has disappeared. She emerges a few minutes later, smiling just like she is in the picture, completely happy and proud of herself. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. "Look, Mom! Look! I grew a beard!" she yells. At once it is silly and cute and at the next moment, I'm wondering... how does one get marker off of a child's face? I tried a baby wipe and that got most of it off immediately after taking this picture, but there was still a lavender stain on her chin, even this morning, when she was out the door and on her way to preschool. Such is the life of a five year old. Not even worried a bit about her appearance. She's probably even looking forward to telling her friends at school about the nice little beard she grew last night.

2 comments:

  1. I thought at first that it was a 'chocolate' beard. Wrong! But you know Zahra, she is a very creative person (like her Mom)!

    Nana-Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have PREFERRED a chocolate beard as it would have been easier to remove! I think the funniest thing of all was that she was so happy with herself for having drawn on her face with marker. Not the least bit ashamed. My little cutie.

    ReplyDelete