Saturday, October 3, 2009

Namely... Zahra

One of the things I noticed when I was volunteering in Zahra's classroom was that she needs more practice writing her name. The other kids are pretty proficient at writing their names without any assistance. When Zahra doesn't have an example of her name in front of her, she sometimes mixes up the order of the letters. She always remembers to start with a capital "Z" but then, sometimes, an "h" or an "r" might follow.
So on this lazy Saturday afternoon, I decided to have her practice. (She's in her soccer uniform because today was Picture Day, but there was no game to play.) I found this really cool website where you can create your own writing worksheets. (http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/) You type in any text you want and then you can print out the sheets for the kids to practice. It was much easier than sitting there and putting little dots in the shapes of the letters I want her to practice (which I have done in the past).

I'm trying to take an easy approach and just work on it a couple times a day. Not too much pressure, so that she doesn't get tired of it and come to dread the practice. I think she will soon be proud that she's able to write her name by herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment