Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Polliwog Award

This morning, Zahra got a Polliwog Award at school for having read 25 books at home with us. It was her second time receiving an award at Toad Hall (the name of her school's auditorium). I didn't think to bring my camera the first time, but since a lot of other parents had them then, I remembered to take mine along today. The first time, about 25 kids got awards, and today there were 42 (some kids got 2 or 3 awards). Out of maybe 130 kindergarten students, I kind of expected more kids to get the awards, since it seems pretty easy to read 25 different picture books to your child. So, since not everybody got them, it seemed kind of special that Zahra got to go up on stage and hold her award for the audience.
Here, you can see Miss Shikuma (another teacher) counting the kids with the audience to see how many awards were received. She mentioned that a lot of times it's a good indicator how well a child will read when you look at how often the kids are read to at home. I definitely love reading to Zahra each night while Max is asleep in his crib. I think Zahra also likes looking at the pictures and hearing the stories, so I feel lucky that it's something that both of us enjoy. One of these days when Max is a little older, it will be fun to have both of them listening to books. I said this before, but I really hope that both of my kids love to read as much as I do when they get older...

3 comments:

  1. Contratulations on recieving a Polliwog Award in Toad Hall--the first step on the road to fame and fortune! Auntie Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she loves reading too! It's so rewarding, especially when you get into it as a kid. It was my escape growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so much fun to read to a child and I know how much Zahra loves it when she has you to read stories to her. Congratulations to both of you. -- Nana-Mommy

    ReplyDelete