Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wake up, Little Z

On some school mornings, Max wakes up before Zahra. This day, we went in together to try and wake the Sleeping Beauty. For a couple weeks now, Zahra has been sleeping on the floor, technically underneath where her bed should be. I moved the mattress from the top, where it should be, and put it on the floor, so at least it would be cushioned. She likes having the sheet hang down to make a little enclosed space where she feels more safe. Max was ready to find his big sister and wake her up.
But she was sound asleep. Notice the little purple flashlight (one of the presents we gave her for her birthday). I wonder if she ever finds it in the middle of the night and turns it on to see if she can see anything. For this little one, you have to hold down the button to keep the light on, which is nice so the battery doesn't run out since it can't be left on.
A few minutes later, two happy kids. I have noticed that Zahra is much more amiable on mornings when Max is immediately there when she wakes up. When it's early and it's just-Mom, we can have quite the frustrating time with grumbles, eyes that refuse to open, hiding under the pillow, thrashing about, you name it. But sometimes Max is sleepy, too, and since he doesn't need to get ready for school like Zahra, I usually let him sleep until he wakes up (which, more often than not, happens just a few minutes later when we are downstairs). I think he senses that he's alone upstairs and so he sits up in bed and calls out, "Mawm?" (It sounds more like that than the rounded-O sound in mom.) I rush up to get him and he's just sitting there, with his legs crossed, rubbing his eyes and looking bewildered, then immediately happy to see me when I walk in the room. To witness that expression of joy, just because you walk in a room, is truly a wonderful feeling.



1 comment:

  1. too cute! When I was younger I used to put a blanket up like that while I was sleeping, it made me feel like I was in my own little tent and could sleep without being disturbed :)

    ReplyDelete