Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Junie B. Jones

One thing I look forward to every day is going to bed. Not because I am so tired that's all I can think about, but because I love reading to Zahra in bed. Every night, after Max has nursed to sleep, Zahra and I brush our teeth. Quiet little Max sleeps peacefully in his crib as Zahra and I get to go on our little literary adventures.



For the past couple months, we have been reading the Junie B. Jones series of chapter books, about a little girl in Kindergarten who gets into a lot of silly situations. (If you want to take a look at the website, here's the link -- http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/junieb/.) The books are written in the first person, using the type of language that might actually come from a 5-year-old. There have been more than a few times that Junie B. has used expressions I question whether or not someone Zahra's age would say, but she does say some pretty cute things like seeing a "hugie big cake" at a wedding and "Wowie wowie wow!" when she's excited about something.




I love using different inflections in my voice to make the words come alive. Bessie had given us copies of a bunch of the Junie B. books, but I didn't realize until I went to the library looking for ones we hadn't read, that they're geared toward 3rd grade readers. There are a few pictures in the books, every four or five pages or so, but this means that Zahra is mostly listening only to words, since they aren't picture books per se. I don't remember what Mom and Dad were reading to me when I was 5, but I think it's great that Zahra loves listening to chapter books at her age.

Zahra usually asks me to change Junie B.'s name to Zahra when I am reading, so when someone addresses the little girl, Zahra hears her name instead. (We call her Zahra D. instead of Junie B.) Changing the name may be one clue, but I wonder if she identifies with the main character, since she's also 5 and she has a little baby brother, too. Junie B.'s brother is named Ollie and he always seems to take up the mom's attention when Junie B. has something important to say. Both little girls get frustrated that the baby takes up mom's precious attention and both seem to have endless energy and creativity. Although Zahra doesn't start Kindergarten until the fall, I do see a lot of other parallels between their lives. We've read all the books where Junie B. is still in Kindergarten and there are a few more books where she has moved on to 1st grade, but after that, we'll have to move on to another series. This prospect makes me kind of sad because I think both Zahra and I have really enjoyed the Junie B. books together.




We've read a couple Amelia Bedelia books, which I remember reading as a little kid, but I just can't help but think about what a nitwit she is! I'm also afraid that Zahra doesn't understand the double meanings behind some of the stupid things Amelia Bedelia does so she can't get the umor. (Like throwing a tent on a bush when someone tells her to "pitch the tent.") When I was reading them as a kid myself, I think I was old enough to understand them in a way that Zahra just can't quite grasp this early on.




I don't remember being read to as a child much, but I know that I have loved reading since I was little. I remember the picture books and knowing some of the stories behind them, having favorites like Anansi the Spider and the church mice books. I don't actually remember being the patient little one listening to the stories and looking at the pictures, but not being able to read the words myself. My memories of reading begin with being able to do the act myself, not the passive listening stage.




I have many fond memories of going to the Children's section of the public library in downtown Stockton and picking out books. I vaguely remember choosing the picture books (1o a week for each kid?), but for some reason, once we get home, I don't have memories of listening to these very stories we just took home. (Perhaps this is like the theory that says we don't have memories of infancy or other early stages of life before we learned language because that's how our memories are stored -- in words.) I remember going through a non-fiction phase where I wanted to learn about all different kinds of things and the library had a great series that had books that were just right for whatever level of reading I had mastered at the time. I remember reading lots of Babysitters Club books and then moving on to Young Adult novels. Eventually I started reading adult fiction and have stayed there ever since. Until now. I have moved back into the Children's section, only with a much different vantage point.




One of my greatest hopes for Zahra and Max is that they grow up to be avid readers. I am truly thankful that I come from a library family and that books have been an important part of my life for many years. I hope both of my children come to enjoy reading as much as I do. For now, I think the best thing I can do is to read to them daily and let them see me reading for fun. If ever there is a day that we can't read as much as usual, Zahra does seem disappointed. When she has been patient and quiet with one book or we have finished another, she always looks forward to hearing more. I think that's a good sign.

1 comment:

  1. You and Tori always loved being read to. In fact, on the same night, the same book had to be read at least 2xs. The books that we read to you were picture books. “Picture” books are meant to be read to children (because they have a lot of text and the words / vocabulary would be too hard for a beginner to read). “Easy Readers” are meant for beginning readers. I recall borrowing at least 20+ picture books each library visit. One of your favorites was "The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes;" he dirtied every single dish in his home until there were no more dishes! [He realized the error of his ways and washed them all…if I recall the storyline correctly.] And one of my favorites to real aloud was "The Baby Beebee Bird" book. Reading it aloud was just so much fun when you say it real fast. Your joy came from not only being read to...but, you were allowed, and encouraged, to CHOOSE the books you wanted to take home. Since checking out books were not automated at the time, it was a royal pain to fill in those little slips (name of book, author's name, and the copy # of the book) before you were allowed to borrow them. And don't forget the storytimes that you attended. Do you remember attending a few storytimes at night when you got to wear your pajamas! You know I would never let you leave the house in your pajamas after a certain age unless if was for a good reason! Zahra will continue love being read to, even while she's learning how to read. She will probably love reading to Max! Nessa, Great narratives about life in the Washington home! Mahalo for sharing. -- Nana-Mommy

    ReplyDelete