Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Asleep, with Kids

On Sunday afternoon, Willie took this video of us all sleeping on the couch. (He didn't know the camera was set to "video." He had meant to just take a picture and then the camera battery died, so he couldn't just change the setting.)

I'm just now getting over a pretty bad cold, so I was very tired on Sunday. Willie and I had watched a movie while Zahra was at church with Grandma. Max had fallen asleep in my lap and after the movie was over, I moved from the chair where I was sitting, and laid down on the couch, taking the sleeping little Max with me. I watched TV for awhile, until Zahra came home. Zahra climbed up on top of me and I thought she was only going to stay for a second or two, as she sometimes does. Instead, she promptly fell asleep. Right there, on the not-so-flat curves of my side. Not the most comfortable place to go to sleep, I would imagine, but then I'm not a 5-year-old kid who wants to sleep on top of her mom. Then, with Zahra sleeping on top of me and Max sleeping in front of me, I fell asleep, too. (I was not worried about Max rolling off because, since becoming a mother, I am a very light sleeper, especially if my children are around. Any little motion of his would have woke me up.)

About an hour later, that exact thing happened. Max and I woke up, around the same time. Who knows which of us woke up first. Max sat up and then slid off the couch with a little of my assistance. I got out from under Zahra and let her continue sleeping. Boy, was she tired! She slept for 4 more hours. Quite the long Sunday nap. I was sick and not feeling well at all, so I didn't even bother trying to wake her up. I was a little worried she'd be too awake to go to sleep a few hours later, but she must have really needed that sleep because around 10 o'clock, after Willie told her a bedtime story, she fell asleep without any fuss (which is impossible if she's really not tired).

1 comment: